Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Food, vodka and apartment shopping

So its actually Wednesday morning while I'm writing this however I'm trying to keep it day by day so bear with me...I am a tad hungover.  Here's the low down...

We have had a fairly busy schedule since arriving.  Lots of meals and catch ups with the other AYAD's that are living here.  Tuesday was apartment shopping day.  There are some great options but just need to work out what is best location wise.  Most things seem like they are walking distance which is fine now as the weather is not so cold (you know only above zero degrees!) but once winter hits we want to be in an easy position.

So that brings me to the cold...So I think its been around 4-6 degrees this week.  Night time I'm not sure but it is definitely below zero degrees celsius.  Having never lived in such temperatures its surprising how nice its been.  Ask me in a few months and it will most likely be a different story but right now its fun.  I think it helps that the sun is always out.  Getting dressed to go outside is a fair effort and then whenever you come into a building its a rush to get the layers off before you over heat.  There are a few patches of ice on the ground but nothing to hardcore just yet.

Last night we had planned to see a cultural show with throat singing, contortionists, dancing etc however the power wasn't working so it was cancelled.  We ended up at a place called square which is in the big Louis Vuitton building.  Lots of drinking followed.  Unfortunately so did our first lesson in personal security.  While we were sitting at the large table we all put our coats on the back of our chairs.  This place was fairly upmarket and I think maybe we all had our guard down a little bit...perfect opportunity really I guess.  So James had his wallet taken from his coat pocket and then put back inside minus about a whole stash of cash.  They also managed to leave with his camera.  Pretty good score for the thieves.  They walked away with the dollar equivalent to what most Mongolians earn in three months!  Police reports followed for James and Holly while the rest of us managed to consume copious amounts of Chinggis Khan vodka.  An impromptu 2 hour karaoke session followed which resulted in our group being asked to leave...not before we belted out one last classic, Stand by me.  Great night with great people.  Loving life...

Vegan meal at Luna Blanca...awesome!

it's all about the vodka

Karina, Liz, Ben and I on our walk home...love xx

Sukhbaatar square

chillin with Chinggis

you know it!
      

2 comments:

  1. Omg here I am think that this poor girls is going off to some way off country and living in a straw hut and cold and missing family and friends and instead ........... well she is blardy having fun............ Mongolia never used to be like this!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha Anne! Definitely having a ball! No need to feel sorry for me I'm living it up in Mongolia :)

    ReplyDelete